6 Questions to Ask Before Choosing Pet Insurance
Just seeing the word ‘insurance’ makes us cringe. Dealing with insurance companies can be a hassle and getting your claims paid out can be such a nuisance. No one looks forward to calling their insurance company. And if it’s not required by law, why do you need pet insurance?
Unfortunately in the blink of an eye your furry best friend could be facing a life or death situation. Emergencies and accidents happen. We don’t wish them upon anyone, but the truth is, insurance could save your dog’s life. So we’ve gone ahead and done immense research on how you can choose the best Pet Insurance for your furbaby, to make the process as seamless as possible.
Below, we’ll go through the questions you should ask as you determine the best pet insurance for your family.
1. Why do I need Pet Insurance? Pet Insurance is you planning for the unexpected. It allows you to pay a monthly or quarterly premium so that you can live life knowing you have a financial cushion in the case of an emergency. Emergencies can include your dog being hit by a car, injuries, chronic illnesses and even some routine visits. Pet Insurance is not one-size fits all. Keep in mind that vet insurance costs will vary based on a variety of factors like age, breed, coverage chosen or pre-existing conditions.
2. How does Pet Insurance work? Majority of Pet Insurance plans work by reimbursing you for the cost of veterinary care. After paying the initial cost at your vet, you will then submit a claim to your pet insurer. Claims are usually processed within a month and many pet insurers guarantee a certain turnaround time as an added benefit. Some Pet Insurance companies even partner with veterinary clinics and pay the veterinary clinics directly, so you don’t even have to open your wallet. Be sure to review different insurance policy details to find the one that meets your needs!
3. What should I consider when picking a Pet Insurance Company? This is the million-dollar question. How do I decide which Pet Insurance Company to go with? We suggest looking at:
• Rankings and Reviews:
Look at the reviews each Pet Insurance company has on Facebook and different blogs like Canine Journal and Consumer Reports
Be sure to not review the biased reports that individual Pet Insurance companies produce – they’re just trying to sell you on their Insurance
• Customer Service Experience
- Check that the Pet Insurer offers multiple different communication methods available so you can reach a customer service representative quickly and easily
• Claim Payment Feedback
- Different Pet Insurance Companies have different ways of reimbursing the pet parent. Review the process to ensure submitting claims are straightforward and what their payment timeline policy is
- Price is a very important one to consider. Compare the monthly, quarterly and annual costs between a few of your top companies. Ensure that you are getting proper coverage at all levels
• Contract Coverage
- You don’t want any surprises in the event of an emergency. Look through the contract in detail to ensure that the Insurance policy will cover everything you want it to!
• Multiple Accidents
- If your dog is accident prone or is a breed that is more sceptical to health issues, be sure to choose a coverage that protects you for annual deductibles not incident deductibles
4. Do I need specialize coverage? Sadly, according to Canine Journal, Cancer is the #1 disease-related killer among pets. Healthy Paws Pet Insurance is known to be the industry leader for insurance policy covering cancer treatments. You may also choose specialized coverage if you have a large dog breed. Large breeds often incur larger medical expenses. Trupanion Pet Insurance is known for higher premiums, but in turn offers higher payouts for those big breeds.
5. How do I choose the right Dog Insurance Package? All this information can be overwhelming. We all want the best for our dogs, and the best for our wallets. We suggest you:
• Narrow down your choices from our pros and cons list above
• Contact at least three companies to compare
• Ask your vet to send in your dog’s records to each prospective company. If they want your business they will take the time to review your dog’s records and provide an accurate quote
• Compare monthly premium costs vs. the coverage
• Review plan deductibles, payout percentages and guaranteed payout timelines that may impact your real out-of-pocket costs
We truly hope this post provides dog parents with helpful steps and guidelines to finding the best pet insurance for your dog’s need!
We’d love to hear from you! Please share your Pet Insurance stories below!